Call For Stories: My #1Thing
NRCDV Radio’s Stories of Transformation podcast station is dedicated to lifting up and honoring the voices of survivors and advocates, featuring interviews with advocates from the field, real life stories from survivors, and innovative practices in advocacy.
During Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM), we mourn those who have lost their lives because of domestic violence, celebrate those who have survived, and connect individuals who work to end gender-based violence. This year we are inspiring action through a unified#1Thing message. We invite you to join us and share your One Thing!
Domestic violence impacts millions of people each year, but it can be prevented! Accomplishing the social transformation necessary to achieve a world that is peaceful, equitable, and just requires the collective power of individuals, families, institutions, and systems – each whose “one thing” adds value to creating and sustaining healthy communities.
What is your #1Thing?
NRCDV is calling for submissions from individuals and groups in a variety of roles and disciplines, from diverse identities and perspectives, in response to any of these prompts:
- #1Thing that inspired me to take action to end gender-based violence
- #1Thing that changed my story
- #1Thing I need advocates to know
- #1Thing I want my children to know
- #1Thing I want to share about my community
- #1Thing I do to take care of myself
- #1Thing I need funders to know
- #1Thing that most impacted my healing and resilience
- #1Thing I wish policy makers knew
- #1Thing my family could do to support my healing
- #1Thing that can make a difference in the lives of our community’s children
- #1Thing that can make our world more peaceful, equitable, and just
- Or respond to your own #1Thing
This is an invitation for activists, advocates, survivors, community leaders, parents, teachers, day care providers, health care professionals, faith leaders, social workers, attorneys, judges, law enforcement, government workers, and others with an interest in adding their story to our collective effort to end domestic violence!
We are seeking stories that offer “one thing” as a strategy for shedding light on:
- The value and power of each action, no matter its size, on impacting social change;
- The strength and perseverance of change makers in the face of challenging times;
- The invaluable role we all play in creating the world we wish to live in;
- The power of storytelling as a strategy for raising awareness and inspiring change.
If your submission is selected for production, you will be invited to read your story aloud, or offered alternate accommodations as needed, for a recorded podcast. Selected stories will be shared nationally as part of the Domestic Violence Awareness Project’s efforts during Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October 2018.
- Stories should be written using “I/we” statements.
- Stories should be between 5-10 minutes in length, when read aloud.
- Individuals from traditionally marginalized and oppressed groups, including people of color, non-English speaking, immigrant, Native, Deaf, trans-identified, gender non-conforming, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and people living with disabilities are encouraged to submit.
- Creativity in storytelling is encouraged!
Submission deadline has been extended to Friday, August 24th. Send via email to nrcdvTA@nrcdv.org with the subject line “My One Thing.” Storytellers will be notified by Friday, September 7th.
Help us get the word out.
NRCDV offers free technical assistance to support your storytelling efforts. If you seek assistance in crafting your narrative, reach out to the NRCDV at nrcdvTA@nrcdv.org or 800-537-2238.